Monday, January 26, 2009

Feline update

A couple of days ago Tia Mary Martha left a comment pointing out my neglecting to update the cat situation. The last time I mentioned poor Mulligan was back on New Year's Eve when he attacked my Dad and me, sending us to the walk-in clinic for tetanus shots and antibiotics. I left it up in the air as to “what would happen” with Mulligan! For all you cat lovers, I apologize for not keeping you posted and will try to bring you up to speed now.

After the attack, Mulligan was pretty much confined to the back porch for the next couple of days... when he was allowed back in, he showed no signs of aggression and all was forgiven (by me – my Dad, who isn't that fond of cats to begin with, was not so forgiving). But given the option to spend time inside or out on the porch, my wild lion chose the outside. On January 12th, Angela came to town and Mulligan was strictly exiled to the porch for a week since Angela is very allergic. So the litter box and his food were moved out, and I had to be very careful to not let Fantango out on the porch, except under strict supervision since she likes to eat cat food and cat poop (yes, that's right.. she loves cat poop)!

How did Mulligan respond to his exile? He pushed through the screen and escaped!! Luckily the neighbor witnessed the break out and was able to recapture the escapee. For those of you who don't know or have forgotten – Mulligan can not be an outside cat because he is FIV+... now I had to figure out how to keep Mulligan in! Yikes!

That brings us to today. Mulligan is again allowed back in the house, but he only spends a few hours inside each day. As you see from the picture below, he spends his inside time in unauthorized locations!

Since he spends so much of his time, including his nights, out on the porch, I've decided to leave his litter and food out on the porch which means that Fantango has to stay inside. And I've had to figure out how to cat proof the porch so that Mulligan can't escape. Below are some pictures of my cat-proofing... His principal escape strategy is to cram himself between the bottom slats and the screen and push in order to loosen the screen. My counter measure is to nail up some lattice to reinforce the screen. Unfortunately I only have two tools at my disposal which make this task all the more laborious, but hopefully I'll be able to finish up tomorrow or the next day.

I guess that's it for now. Right now, Mulligan is outside and the rest of us are inside for the night, but despite the sliding glass door between us, we are back to being one big, happy family!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

1 comments:

Lori said...

I was wondering what happened to Mulligan myself. i am glad to hear he is still part of your family. All 8 of our dogs like the cat poo treats too. Our oldest cat is 17 years old. He looks thin and old but he is still hanging in there. Our cats love baby bedding and especially Bodey's car seat. Cat hair everywhere!
Much love,
Lori