Monday, January 19, 2009

More than a dream!

Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on April 4, 1968
I was born on April 10, 1968
I was born into this world just six days after Martin Luther King Jr. was born into the next.

Now, just a bit more than 40 years later, thanks in large part to MLK Jr's legacy, my son was born into a different world. A world where he can be color blind. The first US President that I remember was Gerald Ford and all of them since looked much the same except for the color of their hair and the size of their noses. It is very likely that the first president that Radar will remember is Barack Obama... a black president will be normal to him.

So even though it is still a very imperfect country and world, it feels very good to know that in many ways it is a better, more fair country and world in which my son will grow up. I feel good that today, Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream is more than a dream... So happy MLK Jr. day to everyone! I hope you all feel as good as I do. And even if Radar isn't smiling today, on Day #12 of smile watch, I am smiling!


Excerpt from the “I have a dream speech”...

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

6 comments:

Lali said...

Happy MLK day! What a fantastic future we have ahead!

So much love,
Lali

The Science Pundit said...

BEAUTIFUL!

Dardo said...

I don't think you're considering the possibility that Radar isn't smiling yet because W is still president. Maybe his first smile will be tomorrow at noon.

Channel Swimmer said...

very true! I hope that in Radar's lifetime, he can live in a world that is gender blind as well. Maybe Fanny will be the 1st female president!

The Science Pundit said...

OMFG! How did I miss the obvious?

Dardo hit the nail on the head! I expect pictures and video of little Darwin smiling once this reign of terror is over.

Laura Steenwyk said...

Barak Obama rocks this mama!!

My son loves him and "Mama Obama" - this is going to be an awesome day!!