Thursday, January 1, 2009

A tough day

Well, this was not a great way to start off the New Year. Last night when I took Radar up to his bed I asked my Dad to make sure that Mulligan was inside before going to bed (he spends a good part of his days on the screened porch). At 10:30 or so, when Radar was down and asleep, I heard my Dad call from downstairs. It turns out that when he tried to bring Mulligan in off the porch he got a good scratch on his hand. I went down and Mulligan was growling and hissing at a cat on the other side of the screen. Normally I'm not this stupid, but I tried to pick him up. Big mistake! He freaked out and scratched and bit me... hard! My hand was bleeding pretty badly and hurt like hell. I washed the wound immediately, applied pressure to stop the bleeding, then put on antibiotic cream and bandages. My hand was throbbing, so I couldn't get to sleep... then at midnight the fireworks started and Fanny spent an hour barking. I finally drifted off to sleep around 1am and Radar woke up at 3am. Even though Radar got back to sleep around 4:30, I never really did.

Then today was a very fussy day for poor Radar. I had to hold him all day and rock him and sing to him. And although I thought this morning that my hand was ok since the wound looked pretty clean, it's been hurting all day and now this evening it's swelling. So I guess tomorrow it's off to the walk in clinic to get the wound treated and probably start antibiotics. I don't have any pictures to share since I've got my hand wrapped up, but if it's gooey and pussy tomorrow, I'll be sure to snap a shot and post it.

Of course the biggest concern I have is Radar. I've always worried that Mulligan wound try jumping into his crib / playpen, etc... but I don't want to worry about Mulligan scratching or biting my baby boy! I'll give this a day or two to sink and see how I feel then.

I hope you all had a better start to the New Year than I did. I'm sure a new day will dawn tomorrow and things will look much brighter - especially if I manage to get a wee bit more sleep than last night!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

ps - Fantango has been a perfect pug through all of this, clinging to me all day and being especially affectionate, sensing that mommy is having a tough day. Good pug!!

5 comments:

Jenna said...

LEts just hope that your cat was just upset because of the other cat, and maybe your Dad tried to get him at a time when the other cat was already around.

Dardo said...

Poor Titi! Get better lickity split! Little Radar is counting on you.

The Science Pundit said...

Let's hope you don't get the cat scratch fever.

Viviana said...

Sorry for you bit, but having your dad over maybe make him nervius, por mulligan so many change in his life. I hope you are feeling better 2morrow.
Hug and love

Marco said...

Yup, those cat bites can be very nasty. I sounds infected, so you'll need the antibiotic. (Oh course, I personally would never take medical, financial, fashion or directional / orientational advice from myself). New Year's eve Xavier stayed up until midnight, and when everyone was whooping and saying Happy New Year, Xavier came up and excitedly said "Happy Yu Yu" and gave me the sweetest kiss ever. He also sang "Happy Bearthday" to his GGma Lee who's birthday is Jan. 1st. Javier came down from Philly to celebrate with us and last night we all went over to Carlo's, where we ate delights cooked in his new smoker. We had apple smoked salmon, smoked roast, and smoked bacon. And we played lots of dominos. Any hoo, love you hope to see you soon...

Love Marco

PS. You've got a tough situation with Mulligan. The bahama's would be a great place to be an outdoor kitty but not with the communicable disease thing. Technically you can train a cat with a squirt gun punishment and some kind of positive reinforcement, but it's not easy. Good luck...