Friday, February 6, 2009

A new project

I was right about the bad day / good day theory. Today was a very happy and peaceful day. And we did something new today... we sat in the swing sitting up for the first time. Up until now, we've used the swing completely reclined for sleeping. But now Radar is starting to get a little more curious and likes to sit up to look around so we tried it in the up position. As you can see - it was a hit. Or at least it was a curious experience... not really sure what to make of those faces.

But that's not the new project that I referred to in the post's title line. That has to do with me. See, it turns out that I packed on a generous 55 lbs during pregnancy (they recommend that you put on a dainty 25 - 35 lbs, but there ain't much that's dainty about me). Everyone told me how you drop weight quickly when you breast feed. I was pretty encouraged because at my 1 week post surgery appointment, I had already dropped 25 lbs... this was going to be easy... just 30 to go. Well, 6 weeks later at the 7 week mark, I had only taken off an additional 5 lbs. I guess there's no cake walk for me... I'm still 25 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight (and I was already about 10 lbs heavy when I started the pregnancy).

Now, the reason that I don't know these little details (ie, my weight) between doctor's appointments is that I have not owned a scale for many, many years. I've always figured that you know how you're doing based on how your clothes fit you and owning a scale just makes you obsess about your weight. But this is different... I'm obviously going to have to monitor my weight a little bit more or this extra stuff might become a permanent fixture. I need to at least make sure that I'm going in the right direction. Normally in a situation like this when I've gone all fat-ass, I would just up the exercise... but I'm finding it really hard to find time for exercise right now, so I guess I'm going to have to resort to watching what I eat. Horrible! Never the less, today I bought a scale and was not at all happy about what my new friend had to say... take a look...

My new scale.
Me stepping on my new friend.

Yikes! Oops... I missed the numbers.
There we go... darn... I can't get this dang camera to focus... or maybe it's too stunned to focus!
Now, just so that I'm committed to something, I will set some vague goals. It took me 9 month to put on all this weight, so I'll give myself 9 months to take it all off. It's been two months already, so that gives me another 7 months (until August). If we roughly divide the 25 into 5 lbs chunks, I should be dropping 5 lbs every month and a half or so. We'll do a check back in mid-March to see how I'm doing. Of course if I can start a regular exercise program soon, I should beat this schedule pretty handily - I always thought it a good idea to set easy goals to increase the chance of meeting the objectives and feeling good about myself.

Anyway, that's my new project. Wish me luck.

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - When Radar was born, my Mom went on and on about what perfect, beautiful ears he had (and has). This here is Radar's car seat, but I don't think these are the ears my Mom was referring to... yes, it's the usual suspect again!

5 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

That last picture was a little out of focus because Radar's ears look funny.

A Khudori Soleh said...

anak-anak yang lucu menggemaskan

Lori said...

Ah... the old losing weight while breastfeeding myth. I actually gained so at least you're not doing that! You're blessed to live in a gorgeous place where you can take Radar and Fanny for lots of walks (yes, even when it's a "frigid" 65 or 70 degrees!) so get out and enjoy it! You'll get there but remember, it takes a lot of work to nourish a young one so don't rush it. Your goal is a good, safe, reasonable one for both of you. Good luck!

Lali said...

I love you! Radar's expressions are fantastic! Funny that blurring that happened to the scale. My eyes go blurry whenever I step on a scale too. :)
Love, Lali

Jenna said...

It will come off, dont worry!Enjoy your time home with Radar