Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Radar World Tour: - Day 8; Philly Phrends

With the aid of a rented car and a borrowed GPS, Radar and I made our way from Frederick Maryland to Philadelphia. Despite the GPS trying to route us through NJ, we appreciated the help because it's hard to pay attention to directions when a baby is screaming in the back seat. We had to stop 3 times for diaper, boob and coo-chi-coo action, but we still made it in record time (about 4.5 hours- ok, so that's not really a record).

First stop was to meet Tio Javier, the final stop on uncle / auntie meet-ups schedule! We headed to the nearby trendy Rocket Cat Cafe where Radar proved that he's totally Greenwich Village Grunge!!

We then headed over to the somewhat less unique, but still hipster Starbucks to meet a very special friend. I met my friend Andrea through the Trisomy 18 online support community. Andrea lost her much wanted and beloved son Emerson just one month before I lost my Bennett. This is the second time we've met in person and it was so wonderful to sit and share my wonderful Radar with her! We got to chat, catch up and just enjoy each other's company for a few hours - and best of all, Andrea has promised that she'll visit us in the Bahamas soon! Our door is always open Tia Andrea - we love you!!!

Finally, we made our way to the house of our very favorite member of the vast right wing conspiracy... that's right... we invaded Joe Pavone's house! And just to prove what a good guy Joe is, he let me watch Obama's speech tonight and sat next to me to watch. Thank you Joe! But I'm only including a picture of Amparo because she told me at least 30 times how beautiful Radar is, so that certainly merits a mention on the Radar blog!


Ok, that's it for today. Tomorrow is the biggest travel day yet. We hop on a flight to Portland, Maine with Tio Javier and then drive another couple of hours to visit Radar's Great-Grammy in Sandy Point. I can't wait to get a picture of Radar sitting on his great-grandmother's lap... separated by nearly a century (94 years), some of the very same genes make up these two people who look nothing at all alike. Radar will probably never really know his great-grandmother, but he'll be able to look at a picture and know that she got to meet him.

So stay tuned for tomorrow's report from the very frigid northern tip of the USA!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

7 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

The third picture is so beautiful!

Abuela said...

I see a connection. Andrea and Radar have to be distantly related-just look at the hair!

Angela de Pazos said...

jAVIER LOOK hANSOME, WITH RAFAEL, GREAT PICTURE,,,
AND TIA AMPARITO TOO,,, I WANT A PICTURE,, WITH , UNCLE JOE PAVONE,,, PLEASE,,,,PLEASE.. JAJAJA
LOVE YOU ALL,,
ANGELA,, TRIBI AND MIME

Anonymous said...

Speaking of the VRWC, Tara's cup is on the way. Abuela

Anonymous said...

Especially on the third picture Radar looks at lot like his grandfather Jose!

Cousin Laurie said...

When you get to Maine give your grammy a hug for me. I have been amiss in calling her this year! I hope the weather isn't too chilly and it's good that Javier is going with you. One of these days, if and when life slows down, maybe I can make it up to Maine and at least to Florida to see everyone. California always seems so far away!
Hugs to both you and Radar

TaraMac said...

I've been wondering about my cup!! I thought maybe I would be getting an in-person delivery. I would have let you watch Obama here...he was on my tv, too. He was MUTED (lol), but only because I am too obsessed with Edward Cullen right now (have you read the Twilight series???). I though that the fact he was on counted for SOMETHING, even if I couldn't hear him...

(I would have muted McCain, too!! His voice sound too much like Mr. Smithers from The Simpsons!!)