Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Good Boob

Today, as I continued to slog through with this miserable cold of mine, I got to thinking about this miraculous boob juice that keeps my baby healthy even as I'm breathing all over him and kissing him repeatedly. So I did some agoogling (I put the "a" there on purpose... I'm feeling Italian I guess) on the benefits of breastfeeding. Sure enough, the evidence is pretty overwhelming that the boob is really good for baby. It seems that the most recommended course is for baby to be exclusively fed boob juice for the first 6 months and for the diet to be supplemented with boob up to the first year. And so even though I have to return to work in just over a week (depression sets in as I type those words), I will be heading home for lunches and pumping at work - whatever it takes! This incident with the cold and having avoided the flu through a hellish flu season, has convinced me 100%.

In my readings today, I also encountered a new study that was published recently that I found interesting. In short, it reiterates that cases of asthma are lower in babies who are breastfed exclusively for at least 12 weeks, UNLESS they later eat fast food two or more times a week. This means that McDonald's can reverse some of the long term benefits of breastfeeding.



It's not that I really needed to be told that fast food is bad for kids, but if I go through the trouble of breastfeeding for a year because it's the best thing for Radar, maybe studies like these will be enough to nudge me to the right path on those days when fast food just seems the most easy and convenient route. So, no Happy Meals for you my Radar!

Just as a treat, I'm including a short audio clip of Radar breastfeeding today with some pictures of him breastfeeding that I took on his 6 weeks birthday - for those of you that are queezy about seeing a small piece of my boob... close your eyes! I swear his little moans and grunts are the sweetest music these ears have ever heard (turn your sound all the way up).

video

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

3 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

First!

Lori said...

Precious, absolutely precious!

And Titi, you're becoming a breastfeeding advocate - whoo hoo! Check out these 101 reasons to breastfeed: http://www.notmilk.com/101.html

Remember, the benefits of breastfeeding don't stop at a certain age - you can nurse Radar for as long as it's beneficial and enjoyable for both of you.

Jenna said...

Breastfeeding is such a wonderful thing. I nursed for 31 months and my little guy rarely gets sick and if he does its a very short cold maybe 1 day long. radar looks so peaceful and happy in all of these pics:)