Thursday, March 12, 2009

Perry Potcake

Well, the clock is really ticking now. Next Monday I'll be at work and it won't be me who sees Radar play with a new toy at 10am.

And it won't be me who giggles as Radar tries to eat both hands at 11am.

I won't be there to stare at him as he takes his 2pm nap in the swing.

Nor will I be the one giving him his 4pm feeding!

At least for next week, that someone will be his Mum-mum and who can feel bad about giving Mum-mum the chance to spend time with her only grandson and maybe even catch him doing some “new wonderful thing” for the first time!

But I'll be there every morning. And I'll be there most lunches. And I'll be there every evening. And I'll be there 100% on weekends. I'll adjust and Radar will adjust to our new lives. It's a pity he won't remember how precious these past 12 weeks have been. But I will... forever and ever, I will!

Now I thought I'd dedicate a few words to the Potcake (that I mentioned in the Dog Show post a few days ago). Potcakes are the stray mutts of the Bahamas.


http://www.potcake.org/2.html

A couple of years ago I was inspired to write a children's book with Potcakes at the center. It's a silly, don Quixote-ish tale and I've never found someone to do the illustrations. But that's my goal – to illustrate it and to publish it, even if just as a self-published book that I read to Radar.

Since the poor story has gathered dust, I took it out today and read it again. It's very goofy, but I thought if anyone was interested, I could share it here, a chapter or two at a time. It's not too too long, but it's also not too too short, so I don't want to put it all in one post. But if you'd be humored by a silly story about scruffy stray dogs, let me know and I'll post the first bit tomorrow (sorry, no illustrations).

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

6 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

We're going to have to step up the search for illustrators. We need an illustrated book for when Radar is old enough to have books.

Lori said...

Hmmm... my brother Doug is an artist. Actually, my brother Mike, the writer, is a really good artist as well. I wonder if either of them would be up for a project? Unfortunately, they took all the artistic talent in the family and left me with none so I can't help you unless you want stick potcakes. :-P

Tia Sara said...

To answer your question, yes, I would love to read the potcake book, and I'm confident everybody else does too.
Once we have read the book, you can asknpeople to submit sample illustrations. Is there a way to upload pictures to the blog? Then you can post them for us to vote on.
Of course you can choose whichever you want but voting is such fun, specially when one wins....
Tia Sara

Dardo said...

Titi, I have a friend named DJ whose a very good artist. Here's his website:

http://www.drawingthelinestudios.com/illustration/

I'm not how busy he is, or how eager he is to work on a book that may never be published, but he is a very good guy and a very talented artist. His first page of illustrations there is of movie scenes, but if you check the next few pages you'll see some nice stylized cartoony scenes and very nice more realistic drawings (particularly the beagle one, which he drew for a vet's office). If you decide to contact him through the website, let me know.

Anonymous said...

Lori beat me to it..if you could make a copy, I could see what the artist in the family thinks about it...worth a shot. He did a book for a woman some years ago with charming illustrations of a caterpillar with a shoe fetish.

Sandi

Anonymous said...

Titi,
Wow! I love the story. I am amazed at your writing skills, and found myself drawn in to the tale, picturing it as I read. If I could draw, I would love to do it, but alas I also have an unpublished children's story that is not yet illustrated. I have talked to a woman who did a book by a local author and if she works out I will send her your information.

Glad all is well, and hope to hear more about Radar. Be well and happy!
Love,
Angela
Angela