Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mixing it up

April 30th UPDATE

This is not the April 30th post, but I just wanted to give a quick update to yesterday's post.  In two words... 13 hours!  Yes, Radar slept 13 hours last night.  It was one of those nights when I had repeatedly wake up to stare at his chest to make sure he was breathing (I think most moms know all about that).  So both mommy and Radar are brand new today!  More later...

-----------------------------------------

I've never been too good at keeping to a routine, but I thought I had a pretty good one going.  My weekdays would start somewhere between 5:30 and 6:30am, dependent on the whims of my very cute alarm clock.  We get up to talk and play for a bit.  Then either my house guest wakes up or the nanny arrives and I do a hand off so that I can go shower.  I pump all the milk I can, drink coffee, eat cereal, pack lunch, kiss and snuggle Radar and head off to work.  In the evening I get home between 5 and 6 to savor a few fun hours of nursing, playing, talking and reading with Radar before he dozes off for the night sometime between 7:30 and 8:30pm.  Then I blog.

But maybe Radar is not so good at sticking to a routine or maybe he doesn't want to be taken for granted.  Whatever the reason, Radar decided to mix things up a bit yesterday.  It started with an earlier than usual wake-up call (just before 5am).  I thought maybe the military fatigues he wore to bed confused him into believing he was at boot camp.  Whatever the reason, we got up and started work early (he goes to his "office" and whacks some toys, throws others and sticks the rest in his mouth).  Mum-mum and the nanny patrol (there were two nannies yesterday) took over and I went to work as usual.  

I thought that the morning modification would be it - a small adjustment really - I could handle that.  Then came the evening.  Radar dozed off beside me at 7 or so and I wondered if that was it for the night.  Brown eyes popped open 15 minutes later... guess not.  He dozed off again around 8:30 and I thought this must be it.  Eyeballs again within 15 minutes.  At just after 9pm I took him up to bed with a bottle.  He wanted nothing to do with the bottle, with the bed, with the dark room or with my singing and my massages, and he let me know this by screaming at a window-shattering pitch.  

So we got up.  We went downstairs.  He went back to his "office" and was mildly entertained for a few minutes, beating his toys and throwing others, all the while trying to cram one whole hand into his mouth.  But it didn't last long and he went back to screaming.  This "few minutes of screaming" and a "few minutes of mommy trying to calm Radar down" and a "few minutes of distraction" pattern cycled until sometime around 11:30pm when he conked out.  I threw in some infant Tylenol around 10:30 or so, but that didn't seem to do too much.  

This morning he slept in until about 8:30 and now my routine is totally shot!  I don't know if it was a fluke or if we're just making some time adjustments or if Radar is starting to teethe?  As you can see, the change has disrupted my blogging pattern... I missed a day, I am blogging on my lunch hour AND I have no new pictures to share (because my camera is at home and NOT because I didn't take any new pictures).

Let's see what happens tonight.

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

ps - I will be doing a "recipe" post this weekend where I will share a few recipes.  If you've got a favorite you'd like to share, please e-mail it to me at the address on the sidebar.    

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

Well I have to say just when you think you have it sorted, they throw a curve ball at you, oh I remember those days!! It sounds like he is teething, or even a growth spurt, that was a favourite between my friends when our darlings wouldn't sleep or settle:)May you have a better night tonight! We finally after many years have children who sleep through, but my hormones are all over the place and I just can't sleep at all, it is enough to make you weep!

Lali said...

I hope it is the growth spurt idea because then he will fit in my clothes earlier! Selfish?

Anyhoo, lots of kisses and love. Tell Radar that I love him so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so much and then give him a few more kisses. I want you to specify that the kisses are from me.

Loads of love, pugs and hugs!
Lali

Anonymous said...

Dears Titi and Radar.

I have just eaten the evidence that was transported to the US by the special agent. Agents Cookie, Hilda, Dexter and Captain were all present for the delivery. I took the evidence that was at the site of the Baptism and with great care, probed it with a fork and then said “No fork needed!“. Yes I crammed the whole two cakes into my mouth like a boa constrictor. Yum The cakes were d’lish.

I hear a great time was had by all. Even though I was only there in spirit my well wishes I think you must know are understood.

Much love to you both.

Derek

Laura S. said...

Hey Titi -
Hang tight. In two years or so you'll have a nice little boy who sleeps through most nights, and just needs a little mama snug to make it through some others. BUT - until then... Nap. Nap. Nap.

ANGELA,,,NANA said...

HOPE ,,, BOTH OF YOU RELAX, AND SLEEP TONIGHT...

POOR BABY,, MAYBE HE WAS ON PAIN,,,??? WHO KNOWS,,,, GIVE HIM A BIG KISS,,,