Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Cold War

I wrote last week about Radar's first real cold. My mom always says that if you don't treat a cold it lasts 2 weeks, but if you do all the right things and take all the right medicines, it only lasts 14 days.


That being said, we're still very much in the middle of it! This is really the first time I've had to use the nasal sucky thing on a regular basis... and the verdict is... Radar HATES IT!


This is also the first time that Radar has had post nasal drip that causes him to wake up gasping for air and choking on his snot and spit... and the verdict is... Mommy HATES IT!


Then there's the cough which has started to turn over, which I guess is a good thing because it means that the crap in there is loosening up (don't sweat it if you're confused, I'm using some pretty sophisticated medical terminology here). I did consider doing the new mommy panic thing where I call the doctor over every sneeze, but instead I've used common sense and the internet. Common sense tells me this is a cold. The internet tells me that babies get lots of colds, so get used to it. Common sense tells me that a baby who hasn't lost his appetite is not a seriously sick baby. The internet says that snot that continues to run clear (not green) indicates there's no infection. Common sense tells me that a baby who still smiles between coughing fits and laughs when I eat his belly and legs (it's my new breakfast routine... I'll have to get it on camera) is ok so far. And the internet agrees.

So it's been a bit tough to blog too much over these last days because the other thing I've learned is that a baby with a cold = a mommy who doesn't sleep. When he's awake I can't blog and when he's asleep, I sleep. The other thing I've learned is that baby colds are contageous and that they pass easily to mommies. That's why I'm working from home this afternoon with a sore throat and stuffy nose.... hey, maybe I'll try the suction thing on my nose!

But we are determined to win this cold war with the weapons we have on hand... breast milk, nasal sucky thing, baby Tylenol and rest when we can get it! I promise you that we won't forget to stop and smell the flowers - even when we can't breath through our noses!!! Wish us luck.


Lots of snnnnortttts,
Titi and Radar


PS - Here's one of the milestones I promised. If given incentive enough (aka Fanny), Radar can now flip from his back to his tummy. Crawling is just around the corner (and I suspect that chasing Fanny might again be all the incentive he'll need!)

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I cant belive how big he is getting!Where does the time go?

The Science Pundit said...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's easier for parents to catch their baby's cold than the other way around. Radar seems to be confirming this.

Angela said...

Hope;;
boths feeling better soon

poor Baby,,,, big hug 4 U.

Lizzie said...

Ahhh, the common cold, boy we have lots of those.....never tried the sucky thing though, didn't know there was a sucky thing, highly sophisticated if you ask me! Good luck with the snots, just remember the more colds they get the better, it builds their immunity....well so I am told by other Mummy's!