Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Simply busy Mom

It's 10:30pm on my first Mother's Day with my Radar and it's been a wonderful day. Nothing fancy... no flowers or balloons or fancy gifts. Just a simple day with Radar, my dad and Serena. Simple and busy. And now that I'm online for the first time today, I see that I've also received some sweet cards and e-mails from my wonderful friends (and guiltily I have not sent out greetings, nor will I get the chance since the eyelids are pretty heavy right now).

So instead, let me give a group shout out to all the moms who check in on me and Radar as we celebrate our first Mother's Day together...

Radar and I wish you a super-duper Happy Mother's Day!!!
(See, Radar is waving to you! I look really horrible and ridiculous, but Radar looked so good waving into the mirror that I had to post it!)

Now before we sign off for the night, I wanted to share one final island recipe that another lovely mom sent me from halfway around the globe. Lizzie was kind enough to share a recipe which is quite famous on her island. It seems these biscuits (cookies) were first made during the Great War (WWI) when there was a shortage of eggs and they were sent to the fighting men since they last for ages and are really tasty treats! So from Lizzie's New Zealand via the Bahamas, I present you with...

ANZAC Biscuits

1 cup of plain flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats (porridge oats, not instant)
1 cup desiccated coconut
125 gm unsalted butter (7 tablespoons)
¼ cup Golden Syrup
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)

Preheat the oven to moderate 180c (350F/Gas 4). Line two baking trays (cookie sheets) with baking paper (parchment paper). Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the sugar, oats and coconut and make a well in the centre.

Put the butter and golden syrup in a small sauce pan and stir over a low heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth. Dissolve the baking soda in 1 tablespoon of boiling water and add immediately to the butter mixture. It will foam up instantly. Pour into the well of the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Drop level tablespoons (Lizzie rolls the mixture into a ball so it sticks together and then flattens it slightly when on the tray) allowing room for spreading. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown, check after 15 mins. Leave to cool slightly for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!!

Well, that's it in mostly Lizzie's words... Maybe you're thinking the same thing I did when I first read the recipe - what's Golden Syrup? Or maybe you're smarter than I am.. if not, then have a lookie here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_syrup

and if you want to buy some, have a lookie here...

http://www.efooddepot.com/products/Lyles/4396/Golden_Syrup.html

Well, that's it for this Mother's Day! Thank you Lizzie and thank you to everyone who reached out to make me feel special today. I promise to write you each tomorrow!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - Look how Radar got around the grocery store today! It's yet another first in a line of so many firsts that are flying at me like automatic gunfire!

7 comments:

Marco said...

Your baby is sitting in the shopping carts! That is so wonderful! And I'm waving back at him, hello! Happy Mother's Day! I will now insert this sentence without an exclamation mark, its exhausing... I had a wonderful mothers day here in Frederick. Frank got a booth at the Frederick Key's game (the minor league farm team for the orioles)against the Blue Rocks so Nena, Xavier and myself joined in for a perfect sunny, breezing day at the ball park. We had hot dogs, soft pretzels and beer. Xavier was much more interested in the game this time, cheered along yelling "Charge", and there was a carousel and moon bounce. Oooh, and we won which always make it more fun. It was a perfect day. Anyway happy, happy, joy, joy, I'm so glad your such a wonderful mommy with such a wonderful baby. Sigh,life is good.

Jenna said...

your cookies look so fluffy, I will re try the recipe. Happy Mother's Day! I'm glad you all had a great day

The Science Pundit said...

He went shopping. Yay!

@Marco&Jenna&Titi

Happy Mother's Day!

Lizzie said...

Oohlala, way to go Christena!! This biscuits are delicious, I have to limit my making of them otherwise I EAT them all, not good for the waist line. Happy Mothers day to you too!

Lali said...

Happy Mother's Day! Lots of Kisses!

ANGELA said...

HAPPY FIRST MOTHER'S DAY,, TITI

GLAD YOU AND RAFITA,,,SPEND THE DAY TOGETHER..
LOVE YOU
ANGELA

Cousin Laurie said...

Happy Mother's Day back at you! He's grown so much! What a cutie1