Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A happy childhood

Agatha Christie (1890 - 1976)

On Antonio's blog he's got this feature with quotations for the day. Today there was one I really liked from Agatha Christie.

"One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life is, I think, to have a happy childhood."

And doesn't that ring absolutely true? When we're young everything is amplified. Remember how big Grammy's house was when you went to visit as a kid, only to realize as an adult that it's a rather modest house. Or how huge the beach was on your family's summer vacation, only to see a seaweed covered, rocky beach with dark, cold water as an adult? Or how fast you zoomed round and round on the giant, colorful horse on the merry-go-round, only to be totally unimpressed as an adult by the tacky plastic horse that slowly bobs up and down?
I know that for me, sometimes when a sight or sound or smell triggers one of those happy childhood memories, I can literally still taste it... it comes flooding back and impacts me like no adult memory can.

So that's what I want to do my best to give Radar... a happy childhood. Of course I want to keep him safe and healthy, and I want him to have every advantage in learning... but I think I agree with Agatha. I also think that he'll be very lucky and well served in life if he remembers his childhood as a happy one.

And I think that...


so


far...


so


good!

Now for a quick update on last night. This was Radar when I went to bed at 10pm.

This was Radar when I woke up (or rather, when he woke me up) at 6:30am.

Please notice that there is a very unequal distribution of space on the bed. I weigh about 4 times Fanny and Radar put together, so why do I only get the corner? Life is so unfair!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - Regarding the comments in favor of continued co-sleeping. Jenna, I am totally unable to build something from scratch (refer to sock puppet post) and Lori, although the "attach a bed" won't work (my room isn't big enough), I am seriously eyeing the side rails. And of course I would expect you to side with Radar... I have come to terms with being very secondary!

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I will take a picture of the rails, its really not hard, I cant assemble anything! I liked your sock puppet!
My childhood memeories are wonderful, and the beaches much smaller now. I hope I contiue to make these memories with Logan
Radar looks so happy, i could eat him up!

Lori said...

Believe it or not, I am also thinking of you. I definitely don't want you to go through what I did with my son in terms of bed time problems! He was the only one we didn't co-sleep with (I wasn't as enlightened then and was trying to follow "the rules")and we had HORRIBLE problems with him that lasted for many, many, many years. By the time my girls came around, I was much more educated about my options and alternatives and we never had any bedtime problems with them. If only I'd known then what I know now... ;)

Matt + Natalie said...

Hi Radar's Mom. Just curious, how did you find my blog?

Marco said...

That bottom third of Fanny's space proportionally scaled down to fit a full size mattress is what I usually get. I don't sleep well, but that usually means I wake up early and watch Xavi dream. I love watching his cheeky little face with the rapid eye movement, flaring nostrils, puckering / pursing lips, sudden flailing arms and legs. I just can't contort myself every night, mostly for old lady reasons. Sometimes I can use Franks feet as a pillow. Really I think X sleeps better without my sleeplessness disturbing him...