Monday, June 8, 2009

Weaning hits a bump

As many of you know, one of the parenting offenses that I am still committing is "baby in the bed." For the first month of Radar's life he didn't sleep in my bed and I didn't sleep. When I finally brought him into bed, my life improved immeasurably... I slept... he slept... I loved it... he loved it...

But one week from tomorrow we will be celebrating Radar's 6 month birthday and things have changed. Now Radar can roll and is doing so much more often and much faster. He still can't crawl - he sticks his butt up in the air and grunts, but can't quite figure it out. But he can move. When he's on his back, he arches his back and that gives him the leverage to push with his legs... it's like a backstroking inchworm.

All that blah, blah, blah is just to get to the point that it's time to wean the baby from the bed... or maybe it's time to wean the mommy from the baby in the bed! And how am I going to do that? Easy, I move the crib to the base of my bed. And that's what I did when I got home this evening.


The only problem was that the crib didn't fit through the bedroom door and had to be taken apart... drat! And did I bother to read the assembly / disassembly instructions? Of course not. I'm too smart for that. So as Maria entertained Radar, I quickly started unscrewing bolts in no particular order. That's when one of the heavy headboards came crashing down on my elbow. Let's say that I used some words that I had vowed not to use in front of Radar and I used them loudly. That was more than two hours ago and my forearm is still throbbing and a nice lump is forming under the applied ice pack. I tried to get a picture, but it's not pretty yet. If it gets prettier over the next couple of days I'll post another picture.

So wish me luck as I try my first night in a long time without my little bunny rabbit in the bed with me. Even though he'll be a foot and a half away, I still feel sad about it. We'll see how it goes.
Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

7 comments:

Jenna said...

My baby is 3 1/2 and still in bed with me. Im not sure who the transition affects more, mama or baby! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

GOOD LUCK tITI...

IS HARD LEAVE THE BABY, AND HIS CRIB.
BUT IS GOOD FOR HIM NOW. YOU BE Ok.
LOVE
ANGELA

Dardo said...

You may need to buy an adult size crib to resolution this issue. Then you just sleep in the crib with Radar.

Radar's Mom said...

@ Dardo

You gest I'm sure, but I've actually given that some serious thought... not to buying an adult sized crib, but buying railings for my bed and converting it! I'll have to run the idea by Fanny first though since it's her bed too!

Lori said...

Skim through those Mothering Magazines - there are lot of converter options for those who want to continue the family bed. Some are 3 sided cribs that attach to your bed if you want him to have his own bed and also rails that you can attach to your bed if you want to share your bed (the rails have the ability to drop down so you can get in and out without climbing over them). Lots of options other than the scary, lonely crib (as you can see, I'm on Radar's side!).

Jenna said...

we put rails on the bed. We built them ourselves and slide them under the mattress. I threw blankets over them to keep them soft, i love sleeping with my little guy, everyone sleeps so well

Little M and Baby G said...

I've been trying to ween from sleeping in the same bed too. But it is just so much easier on everyone! Separate beds are overrated.