Tuesday, July 14, 2009

S.P.A.L.

That stands for "subsequent pregnancy after loss." Radar is my "spal" baby. When I lost my first son, Bennett, to trisomy 18, I spent quite a lot of time corresponding online with other women who had walked a similarly painful journey of trisomy 18. Believe me, it's a bond you don't ever want to make with someone... but it's a very strong bond, even when just exchanging messages on an online message board. It's a bond of sharing, grieving and healing together.

In the last year and a half, I've really bonded and built an online friendship with a handful of these mothers. Before today, I'd had the profound pleasure of meeting three of these mothers in person. And today, I had the extra special pleasure of meeting one more, along with her 7 year old daughter and her "spal" baby. Tara lost her beautiful daughter Sophia to trisomy 18 in August of 2007 after spending 5 precious weeks with her. On July 13th of last year, she welcomed her new son Alex into her family (yes, his first birthday was yesterday which gave us an excuse to eat cheesecake today). Talk about beautiful on the inside and out...

meet Tara and Isabel (two very hot chicks)

meet Alex (handsome, with some serious "baby blues"...)

our "spal" miracles together


Tara has been such a rock of support for me and so many mothers and families. We count ourselves very lucky to have had this wonderful, wonderful opportunity to meet, hug and share our families, even if just for a few short hours.


Thanks for making the drive down Tara! Next time we'll make the trip up to see you guys in "Ay"mish country... we can't wait!!!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - Tara and her family are of the Republican persuasion and knowing that we drink a different flavor of political tea, she brought along a very nice dusting rag as a gift....


Just kidding!!! Radar will wear it with pride... it's sure to provoke some very fun comments in this family!!!

3 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

Wow! He's already learned to fake smile!

(You can take that shirt off of him now.)

TaraMac said...

Hahahahahahahaha!!! Go Mitttttt!!!

I had a wonderful day...thank all of you so much for everything! I tried to tell Jay the story of the "fanatical poop", but it just was not the same as hearing it firsthand.

btw...Isabel would like for Lali to come babysit "very soon..."

Mrs. Mother said...

I just found your blog. I am carrying my SPAL baby now, and I am scared to death. We lost our baby to Trisomy 18 last August at 20 weeks and 5 days. I'm now 20 weeks, 2 days and am nervously awaiting my ultrasound on Monday after getting great first trimester screen results. I'm going to follow your blog. You give me hope. Thanks so much.