Tuesday, August 11, 2009

For those who hate all that PC crap

And I don't mean PC as in an IBM, but rather "political correctness". Yes, I'm all liberal and I generally don't like to offend people, but even I get tired of the finger wagging and head nods that come when you say "dwarf" instead of "little person" or "baldy" instead of "follicularly challenged". When I packed on nearly 60 lbs with my pregnancy, I got fat, I didn't become a person of substance! Ok, pause that thought for a moment...

Today represents the expiration date of my current Bahamas work permit. My renewal application was submitted in June and the fact that the new work permit has not yet been issued is really not too much of a surprise... it's the regular old bureaucracy that comes with the territory. Yesterday I received notice from immigration that they are pending two further documents... one is a new form that they require and the second is Radar's original birth certificate (it seems that a certified copy of the original isn't good enough - maybe there is something to the Science Pundit's comment from the previous post afterall!!!!) So, since I don't feel like waiting in line at the Registrar's office this week, I pulled out the only original I have and handed it over. But before doing so, I photocopied it to make sure I at least had a copy and for the first time I caught a glimpse of something at the top of the certificate...

Hit play again on the PC topic... now, for those of you who hate all the PC crap, catch the description listed under "marital status" for me, Radar's mother...


Great stuff!!!

Lots of love,
Radar and the Spinster

PS - I have now posted Rafa's address over in Iraq (on the sidebar) for those of you who might like to send him a letter or some books on philosophy... I hear that he can't get enough of Cicero... or something that just reminds him of family and being back home!!! We love you Rafa!

10 comments:

Viviana said...

What wrong the Single word they don't like it or what? Ok, now I have another word in my little English vocabulary.

Cousin Laurie said...

Someone still uses spinster. Dear God! Why not single. Sheesh! I know the British tend to be prudish, but that's a Victorian term...hmmm maybe that's the reason!

Lesha said...

Oh my goodness.
I had to laugh though.
Spinster!? Really?

Actually, when I think of a spinster I think of childless which, you know, being a birth certificate, you would NOT be.

Anonymous said...

Radar will walk at 8,196 hrs +/- 30 min (or about 11 Month 23 days)

By the way my mailing address (got lost in the mail) is:
MAJ Rafael Pazos
USACE-GRS, COB ADDER
APO AE 09331

Rafa

Marco said...

I prefer the term "Old Maid". It brings imagery of all the cards being happily paired up except that one loser card you don't want to end up with.

Viviana said...

Se me olvido decir que Radar va a caminar a los 10 meses y 3 semanas.

Tia Sara said...

Titi, embrace your spinsterhood!

Abuela said...

Political correctness indeed. Consider Old Maid-who wants to be called either old or a maid? Could use gay divorcee. Oh, maybe not-the gay and all. When I was little, spinster was definitely old, childless and somewhat judgmental. Men could be "confirmed bachelors" or a bit"peculiar" (check back to gay), but never anything as bad as Spinster.

Lali said...

OMG!!!!!!! Oh my my my. Question: At what age does one become a spinster? OMG!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I couldn't help but laugh a little! That is way too funny that they even use that word anymore, what is this the 30's?

I think Radar will be walking at 10 months! Let me know how I do!

Love
Melissa