Sunday, October 11, 2009

Nine nannies

You've all met Radar's nanny, Maria. She's from Peru and takes excellent care of Radar while I'm at work every weekday. To make sure that Maria was armed with all the knowledge possible, back in mid-August, I took Maria to Miami so that she could take a child and infant CPR course.


To find a course, I first went to the Miami branch of the American Red Cross... I was sure they'd offer the course in Spanish... no luck. I called them and they gave me the names of a couple of Spanish speaking CPR instructors who might do private lessons. Both numbers were disconnected. Damn! There was only one place left to turn...

Mr. Google! So I googled "Infant CPR Spanish Miami" or something like that and this is what I found:


The Oscar Project is a non-profit foundation in Miami that is dedicated to training families and caregivers not only in child and infant CPR, but in all things child safety AND most of their workshops and materials are in Spanish. So, I took Maria to Miami for a 7 hour workshop in August and when she got back, she told her friends and they told their bosses and voila... The Nassau Oscar Project Spanish language child safety workshop was born!

And what did that mean for Radar? It meant that yesterday was not just a Saturday with not one, but nine Peruvian nannies... but a Saturday with nine Peruvian nannies that know now just what to do in the case of any kind of emergency... and more importantly, how to avoid most emergencies in the first place!


The new graduates.


Radar testing out one of the new nannies, Violeta. An "ok" fit he reported, but he's decided to keep Maria for now.


Radar and his mom with Anna, a wonderful instructor and new friend. She was so cool in every way and to put the "cool" cherry on top of the already really "cool" sundae, she just adopted a little girl from Russia!

Thank you for coming over to the do the seminar Anna. It was a super success and I know that many families here in Nassau will greatly benefit from everything learned yesterday!


And despite attending the full seminar, Anna felt that she still had some work to do before she could give Fanny her safety certification. By way of example, she said that during CPR, you are supposed to blow into the victims mouth, not lick it! Poor, poor Fanny!!!


And finally, a big THANK YOU to Susan Linning, the founder of the Oscar Project. She created this foundation from scratch in the memory of a little boy named Oscar who was the 23 month old son of a her neighbor. He fell into his family's pool and drowned a couple of years ago. Through Susan's love and dedication, Oscar's legacy has now crossed borders and is making a difference in so many people's lives, including ours.

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - Re: Tia Sara's comment on the last post. It seems that I also missed Andronio dos's birthday, so at least I'm consistent on the missing Andronio birthday fronts! Anyway... happy belated Andres. And also on Tia Sara's comment regarding her guess on Radar's first steps. I think you're really onto something. Radar has made ZERO progress on the walking front because he just doesn't seem interested in trying. He'll zoom around the house pushing his little walker thing, but ask him to try on his own and plop! Down he goes and zooms on his hands and knees. And I guess I really only have myself to blame... my mom says that I was also a excellent crawler and as a result, generally disinterested in walking until a bit later. Oh well... the countdown continues!


Oh, and I have to get a video because you can't really appreciate it without seeing and hearing it... but I think that Radar's crawling mentor has had a huge influence on him. That would be Fanny, of course. When Radar does his zoom crawl, he also sticks out his tongue and pants! So, so cute!!!!!

2 comments:

Jenna said...

That is so cool that the instructor came to you all! What a huge blessing to have this project in place. I never realized that finding a spanish class would be hard, good thing for this wonderful woman! Kiss those cute cheeks for me!:)

Abuela said...

I made 2 very divergent guesses about walking) based on my broad experience with 2children who learned how to walk: Javier, around 9 mos.& 3 wks (who then tottered around for a few months),and Titi herself, some time after her 1st birthday. Already able to get anywhere crawling, including on top of a chest of drawers, in a few weeks it was from first hesitant steps to running. The rapid crawler is too goal oriented to be slowed down by clumsy steps.