Friday, November 13, 2009

Cute as a...

Cute as a button!


What does that mean anyway?
I've never thought of buttons as particularly cute.


So I Googled and Wikipedia'd it.
It's an old phrase that dates back to the 1800's.

One explanation said that it started off as
"cute as a button quail."
This is a button quail.


Yeah, it's cute.
But wouldn't it have made more sense to keep the phrase
"cute as a quail"
instead?

Better alliteration I think.


Another explanation said that it somehow derived from the British phrase
"bright as a button."
Sure, I guess buttons can be bright.


But what's that got to do with cute?
And yes, those are Soviet buttons (they're the brightest ones I found on my quick image search).


So I'm not a big fan of either of those explanations.


Plus, who needs a better explanation that this...
Cute as a button!


Happy Friday the 13th!!!!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

1 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

I knew he was a commie!!! (but a very cute commie)