Monday, November 30, 2009

Every day

Every day since Radar was born... that's 349 days as of today... he's had the following things:


1. many, many kisses from his mommy
2. at least one nap
3. mommy's breast milk.

#1 has not tapered (and although I don't keep an official tally, I believe the kiss/day average ratio has continued a consistent upward trend).  #2 and #3 have both tapered in volume and frequency.  As for #2, some days Radar only takes one nap (which is usually a monster nap of 2 or 3 hours) and some days he takes two shorter naps.  Yesterday he took two very short naps and then conked out at 6:30pm, not to be heard from again until 6:30am (Hallelujah!!!!)  That makes me pretty happy!

But #3 makes me sad and as of tomorrow, I'm dropping #3 off the list.  It was a pretty good run though, for a working mom.  
  • Although he wouldn't touch the boob for his first 5 weeks, mommy kept to a 24 hour pumping regimen to make sure he always had boob juice, every day.  
  • At exactly 5 weeks he magically discovered the boob and mommy's life got so much easier!   Now instead of pumping at 2 am, I just rolled over and stuck the boob in his mouth, every night.
  • At 3 months, mommy went back to work and every day at the designated hour, she'd close her office door, whip out the boob and place it in the device!
  • For the first 5 1/2 months, Radar only ate breast milk.  Most experts recommend that you give only breast milk  until 6 months, but Radar was ready to eat other things sooner... he was getting hungrier every day and he let me know it.  
  • At about 9 months, he had top and bottom teeth and the real games began.  Breast feeding wasn't just for milk anymore, it was now a sport.  I tried all the tips (don't smile, speak firmly, take away the boob, etc.), but to no avail.  Every day Radar bit down and when I'd speak firmly, he'd flash a very amused 4 toothed grin... So, except for late night feedings, direct feeding came to a halt and I spent more time with my friend, the pump.
  • At about 10 1/2 months, I noticed that my supply was really dwindling.  I thought trying direct feeding again might help, but toothy promptly chomped down and smiled big.  So I used up my frozen supply and started supplementing with formula - but still, he had a couple of my boob juice bottles every day.  
  • For the last week to 10 days, it's become obvious that the time to say goodbye was near.  I have continued pumping, but my supply keeps dropping... from 4 oz per pump, to 3, to 2 and now, I barely get an ounce.  I pumped this morning and I'll pump this evening.  Maybe I'll have 1 1/2 or 2 oz for the whole day... and I'll give it to Radar tonight and he'll have his mommy's breast milk like he has EVERY DAY since he was born.   
And then tomorrow, he won't.  

Bye bye breast feeding.  I have loved you and I will miss you!  Thank you for taking such good care of my little monkey.

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - Prima Sara... do you want an electric breast pump?  She's been great to me!  

PSS - For anyone who's curious about the whole walking thing... Radar doesn't like walking.  If really coaxed, he'll take a couple of steps, but he much, much, much prefers crawling.  I thought that once he took those first unassisted steps that he'd be hooked.  I was wrong.  I guess some day soon he'll just start running, but for now, I guess I'm happy that I can still keep up!

10 comments:

Little M and Baby G said...

Great job! He's had almost of year of the best stuff! Awesome!

Marco said...

Abreveiated Jewish Weening Ceremony:

Blessed are You, God, Ruler of the Universe, who has made me a woman.

Blessed are You, God, Ruler of the Universe, who has enabled me to nurse.

Blessed are you, God, Ruler of the Universe, who sustains life with loving-kindness.

Blessed are You, God, Ruler of the Universe, who created the fruit of my womb.

After the parents drink the wine, they give the child a small sip. This symbolizes the end of the child's dependence on his mother's milk.

Blessed are You, God, Ruler of the Universe, who brings forth bread from the earth.

It was customary in Eastern Europe for a neighbor to give the child the first food he received after weaning. This tradition can be continued by someone other than the parents giving the child a piece of bread before the guests partake of the motzi [bread on which the ha-motzi blessing is recited].

Jenna said...

Good job friend!You have done such a wonderful job sticking with the breastfeeding!! Its sad when its time to say goodbye but quickly you will love having your body back!

Anonymous said...

That would be great. I bought one at Babys R Us, but since I am in the IMPERIO Im sure I can return it. Much appreciated.
Sara

anne heath said...

aww i really feel for you christina, i nearly cried reading your blog. although i couldn't breast feed harvey i pumped for 4 solid months every 4 hours for him until we found out he produced too much calcium and he had to go onto a low calcium formula. from the moment he stopped on my milk it was like he become independent of me , i hated it at first! but actually not pumping every 4 hours was very liberating and he is still growing and has generally a good constitution with or without my milk. i think #1 and #2 are still my favourites xxx

Tia Sara said...

If you had waited a week, the Reb Marco could have officiated the ceremony. Looking forward to seeing you guys!!!!
BTW, I like the Dear Santa motif better than the Let it Snow...Besos

Radar's Mom said...

Tia and Marco,

We don't do anything by the rules in this family, so I intend for Reb Marco to officiate the unofficial weaning ceremony, even though it will be a few days post weaning! Btw Marco... your little ceremony made me cry when I read it!

Lori said...

It sounds like Radar is much like my son was. Kelsey wouldn't do anything until he could do it perfectly. Why practice those first steps and suffer the embarrassment of stumbling when you can just wait until your legs get stronger and start running? Why babble those first words that make people laugh at you when you could impress them with an entire sentence instead? It seems that Radar is determined to do things his way and on his clock.

Anonymous said...

TITI..
PROUD OF YOU..

LO MEJOR QUE UNA MADRE LE PUEDE BRINDAR A SU HIJO.

LE DISTE TU PECHO, SIN CONDICION,A VECES CON DOLOR,TRASNOCHOS Y SACRIFICIO, PERO CON MUCHO ,,,,,AMOR.
BESOS
ANGELA.NANA

Anonymous said...

When you don't need the big bras anymore, remember NH3 is always getting excited about new toys...
Uncle Secret