Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Origin of Spices

My little Darwin descended from me.  He did not descend from the Science Pundit (his uncle) but they are related because they share common ancestors (my mom and dad).  He did not descend from Marco, but they are also related (a little bit more distantly) because they share common ancestors (Mamina and Avo).  Go back one more generation and I can't even count the people to whom my little Darwin is related.  Now back track a billion or so years and not only is my little Darwin related to every human on earth, but also to Fanny and even to the cinnamon spice that we added to his oatmeal (which he is also related to) this morning.  My little Darwin and the cinnamon share a common ancestor.  It's a little theory that we here at Radar Love call "Origin of Spices."

Now, as to the "how" we got from there to here, we'll leave those details (genetics and natural selection) up to the experts... you know, like that guy Charles Darwin (not to be confused with my little Darwin) whose work "Origin of Species" was first published 150 years ago today.    

!!!  Happy 150th Anniversary, "Origin"  !!!

As you see, my little Darwin is celebrating by wearing his monkey (ie, primo monkey) outfit! (He isn't quite up to reading "Origin of Species" yet, so we're sticking to "Happy Baby 123" for now.)


"As buds give rise by growth to fresh buds, and these, if vigorous, branch out and overtop on all sides many a feebler branch, so by generation I believe it has been with the great Tree of Life, which fills with its dead and broken branches the crust of the earth, and covers the surface with its ever-branching and beautiful ramifications."

- Charles Darwin, Chapter 4, Origin of Species (1859)

Lots of love,
Titi and little Darwin (aka Radar)

2 comments:

Ivo Serentha and Friends said...

My compliments for your blog and pictures included,I encourage you to photoblog,

http://photosphera01.spaces.live.com

Even week another photo album

Greetings from Italy,

Marlow

The Science Pundit said...

"Natural Selection will modify the structure of the young in relation to the parent, and of the parent in relation to the young. In social animals it will adapt the structure of each individual for the benefit of the community; if each in consequence profits by the selected change."

——Charles Darwin, Origin Of Species, Chapt. 4 (1859)