Every day since Radar was born... that's 349 days as of today... he's had the following things:
- Although he wouldn't touch the boob for his first 5 weeks, mommy kept to a 24 hour pumping regimen to make sure he always had boob juice, every day.
- At exactly 5 weeks he magically discovered the boob and mommy's life got so much easier! Now instead of pumping at 2 am, I just rolled over and stuck the boob in his mouth, every night.
- At 3 months, mommy went back to work and every day at the designated hour, she'd close her office door, whip out the boob and place it in the device!
- For the first 5 1/2 months, Radar only ate breast milk. Most experts recommend that you give only breast milk until 6 months, but Radar was ready to eat other things sooner... he was getting hungrier every day and he let me know it.
- At about 9 months, he had top and bottom teeth and the real games began. Breast feeding wasn't just for milk anymore, it was now a sport. I tried all the tips (don't smile, speak firmly, take away the boob, etc.), but to no avail. Every day Radar bit down and when I'd speak firmly, he'd flash a very amused 4 toothed grin... So, except for late night feedings, direct feeding came to a halt and I spent more time with my friend, the pump.
- At about 10 1/2 months, I noticed that my supply was really dwindling. I thought trying direct feeding again might help, but toothy promptly chomped down and smiled big. So I used up my frozen supply and started supplementing with formula - but still, he had a couple of my boob juice bottles every day.
- For the last week to 10 days, it's become obvious that the time to say goodbye was near. I have continued pumping, but my supply keeps dropping... from 4 oz per pump, to 3, to 2 and now, I barely get an ounce. I pumped this morning and I'll pump this evening. Maybe I'll have 1 1/2 or 2 oz for the whole day... and I'll give it to Radar tonight and he'll have his mommy's breast milk like he has EVERY DAY since he was born.