Thursday, January 14, 2010

Advice sought

Ok, I'm treading water here trying to figure out a slippery something that seems so simple, but is causing me repeated headaches. So I'm reaching out to see if anyone can give me some advice.

This is for those of you that have juggled babies and pets at the same time... or just for those who might have a creative idea or two to solve my conundrum.

The questions is... what do you do about the water bowl?


I always used to leave Fanny's water bowl on the floor so that she could drink whenever she was thirsty. But now that's not a good idea because if I leave it on the floor, another entity will find it within a few minutes and cover himself and the floor with dog water. He's fascinated by this trick. If he's in the living room playing, he'll periodically stop what he's doing to go to the kitchen to see if I've accidentally left the water bowl down. Or if he happens to hear Fanny lapping away, he breaks out into a crawl sprint, making a bee line for the kitchen. If my count is correct, then he has tipped the bowl 8 or 9 times already.


On the other hand, Fanny needs to drink and I don't think it's fair to her to only get water when I remember to put the bowl down (and then immediately take it back up). There have already been several times when she's gone upstairs and jumped into the bathtub to see if she could get a stray drop or two from the faucet. And that speaks volumes to how thirsty she is because she doesn't like baths.

And the thing is, I don't really understand why Radar needs to get to Fanny's water when he's already figured out how to get his own...

If you look closely at the next picture, you'll actually see the droplets of water coming out.


Oh, that's another problem I haven't figured out how to solve yet!!!

Any advice?

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

6 comments:

Viviana said...

Taht so funy, see radar drinking for the water dispenser so cute, don't worry he'll get tired to play with the same thing find something new for he can deal with, but leave the funny's bowl empy for many days for he get bored of it with out water. Is going to take time but he get over it. So be pacient and don't put away the bowl if you do that he'll never is going to used have it there if you put away poor fanny she'll never is going to have her bowl back in the floor. He will learn let him play with it he will find something better than that you'll see. Good Luck!!

Marco said...

I disagree that Radar will get bored of either bowls or water in the near future. The one is great for putting things in and out of, mixing around, dumping. The other great for splashing, making puddles, and getting a rise out of mom and sis. There are some weighted no skid tapered water bowls that are harder for babies to pick up. Then you just have to train Radar to please not splash. Since you live in the tropics, you might consider a not overly filled pool on the porch available to both Fanny for drinking and Radar for splashing and wading. I'm sure Mulligan will not approve.

Little M and Baby G said...

I had to give Greyson "time out" because he was going after Tallulah's food and water. We start with me saying "no touch" and moving him away, then if he goes back we do it again. If he goes back a 3rd time I say "no touch" and take him to a corner and sit him there and sit in front of him so he can't get out. We sit there for the count of 30 then i hug him and tell him "i love you, but we don't touch the dog bowl".
so far the results are mixed!

Anonymous said...

Put beer in the bowl and see what is happening...(not an entire bottle, but a bit and let us know....)
Uncle Sands

Anonymous said...

TITI.
ESTOY DE ACUERDO CON LITTLE M...DILE QUE NO,,,,FIRME, A AVER SI RESULTA, Y TRATA LOS RECIPIENTES PESADOS, COMO DICE MARCO,, YO TENGO UNO ACA,,,NO ES TAN FACIL PARA DERRAMARLO...
PERO EL NENE, TIENE QUE APRENDER, A NO TOCAR CIERTAS COSAS,..
DILE A ABO, QUE QUE SE LE OCURRE,??
BUENA SUERTE.
LO DELA CERVEZA,,, UMMMMMMMMM,, ALO MEJOR FUNCIONA.
NANA.

Melissa Shores said...

oh me. This is at our house, too. I swear, I clean up dog water off of Addie and my kitchen floor at least 1 time a day!