Thursday, February 18, 2010

How do they know?

Before Radar was born, when I was buying all sorts of toys for him, more than one person told me that it was largely a waste of money because usually a kid's favorite toys are the pots and pans in the kitchen.

We have tons of toys and Radar does play with them, but none of the ones that I bought for him are his favorite. And I hate to challenge the old "pots and pans" wisdom, but I think that dates back to before the truly technological age that we live in today. See, Radar does like to bang the pots and pans every now and then, but no more so than any of his other toys.

Telephones, on the other hand, are a whole different ball game! Radar is obsessed with telephones. He is now 14 months old and he has learned how to take the house phone out of its cradle and how to place it back in... he knows how to push the button to play back messages. He knows how push all the buttons on the phone. And if you try to stop him, he knows how to scream bloody murder until you relent and let him make some more crank calls!



And as for the cell phone. He knows how to flip it open and closed. He knows how to push all the buttons and is getting better and better at successfully placing crank calls - he crank called the house last night! He was playing with the cell phone when the house phone rang. I didn't give it a second thought and answered, never thinking it was Radar. Then I heard "U-la" (that's his standard phone greeting).





In an effort to combat this obsession and to try to salvage my telecommunication systems, I have tried giving Radar fake phones and toy phones and old, non-functioning cell phones. But he knows. I hand him a fake phone and he immediately throws it. How does he know?

I'm not sure what to do about this... I know that I could put my foot down and prohibit Radar from using the phones, but I'm trying to pick my battles and that one just doesn't seem that important! So I guess there's nothing to do... oh well!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

PS - If you get a crank call from my number - I apologize in advance!!!

2 comments:

Tia Sara said...

For some reason, kids have always been fascinated by phones. My kids loved both the rotary and the buttons. And one of the favorite toys was the Fisher Price Telephone pull toy. As for my grandkids.... I think it was Nolan that once called 911 from a cell phone he was playing with. Talk about embarrassed... fortunately the police called back and Heather was able to tell them not to come.

Radar's Mom said...

That's funny... luckily here in the Bahamas, when you dial 911 nobody comes anyway! See how lucky we are!!!