Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Spotted nose hog day

In the Bahamas we don't follow stupid traditions like Groundhog day... how stupid is it to try to link a fat rat's shadow to the weather? Very stupid!!!! That's why here we honor more sensible traditions like that of February 2nd, spotted nose hog day!

See, there is an elusive spotted nose hog here in the Bahamas.


He's very hard to spot because most of the year his nose is not spotted. But just a few days before February 2nd, it starts turning red...


Then, on February 1st, the spot reaches it's deepest color!


And if the spot starts to fall off on February 2nd, then we can expect six more glorious weeks of winter (remember, for us, winter is a good... summer bad).

So, being that today is February 2nd... I went in search of the little spotted nose hog.

I found him eating cheese puffs, as little hogs will often do.


And on closer inspection, I spotted that the spot was indeed starting to fall off!!!


Thank you little spotted nose hog! I'm looking forward to these next six wonderful weeks.


Lots of love,
Titi and the spotted nose hog

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO WAY.. POOR RAFITA ...TAKE CARE OF MY BABY.
LOVE,
ANGELA AND GRANDP.ABO

TIOS,, said...

FEBRUARY, 3,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO RAFAEL PAZOS.

UNCLE RAFA,,
TIO TRIBI,,, AND ANGELA

Anonymous said...

SORRY.

IS NOT UNCLE,,,,,,,,,,,,

RAFA PARA TODOS.

ANGELA TRIBI

Lori said...

That looks like more than a spot but a bad booboo. Anyway, if winter sticks around for us Michigan dwellers it is always summer for you! You must get lost in those big brown eyes Radar has been blessed with. He is really handsome! I went to the ob yesterday and measured 50 cm. Last week I was at 44 cm. I am very happy staying in this very pregnant state. It will be very hard to let this stage go knowing that I will be 42 in March. Do you ever feel sad about letting go of that stage of your life? I hate endings and change but i always love a happy ending and this will be a very happy ending. i still have not let go of my dream of adopting a child in need from Ethiopia but given our situation with no income as of yet I don't know if this will ever be possible. Dean has had several interviews but no job offers... We are now depending on our parents to pay for our mortgage and car payment since our savings has run out. Life just keeps coming at you which is wonderful and scary at the same time.

I guess I used your blog as more of a email then a comment but I miss you dearly and had more to say than I realized. You take care of yourself and lots of love to Mr. Big Brown Eyes!

Lori