Saturday, August 28, 2010

He sure is cute!

I remember going to a mini-family reunion in West Virginia when Radar was 7 months old and Marco (my cousin) said to me that I made the single mother thing look easy. Well, I think back then I actually thought it was pretty easy. I can assure you Marco, that is definitely no longer the case.


Radar is now 20+ months old. I've read a bunch of stuff about the "terrible twos." They say that for lots of kids, the terrible twos actually peak at about 18 months. By 18 months, Radar was already a tantrum throwing bundle of non-stop movement. I thought maybe that was the peak. I was wrong.

I also remember before I had my own kid that I definitely didn't think that all 1 and 2 year olds were cute and wonderful. Did I really think that I'd get through toddlerhood without looking at my own kid and thinking, "that's not cute!" Last night we went to dinner - Grammy, Radar and I... I had to wolf down my sushi in record time and with my left hand, because Radar was being pretty horrible and my right had was busy trying to control a trashing, screaming monster. The other guests in the restaurant did not think it was cute. I didn't think it was cute. We were in and out of the place in under 20 minutes.

To put a little cherry on top, I've got myself a cold, so it's even harder to face a day with this toddler when all I want to do is curl up and dissappear. Days like this make me wonder how anyone on the planet can manage more than one kid. Days like this, when Radar screams at me no matter what I do and when he kicks and pushes to get out of my embrace when I try to calm him down... well, days like this really make me wish that he'd grow out of this toddler age and into the next, more managable, more agreeable age. On days like this, I'm just plain old tired. On days like this, I look at Radar and I think, "NOT cute!"

But then... on days like this, something else happens and puts everything right back into perspective. Something happens that reminds me that this age isn't just about screaming and tantrums and testing me and finding all my buttons. Something happens that reminds me that at this age everything is new and exciting and fun! Something happens that makes me want to freeze Radar at this very age - tantrums and all - and savor life through his new and learning and mischeivous eyes! Today, that something was finger painting!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

On days like this, I look at Radar and I think, "He sure is cute!"

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

7 comments:

The Science Pundit said...

He is a living
Pollock!

Becky said...

That's so cute! (Tee Hee Hee).

Actually, thats really fun and I'm a bit jealous that you can do crafts with Radar and he not eat everything.

Lastly - you rock mom for letting him do that!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love the photo of Radar's painted hands. Truly Titi, you are an inspirational mother. Radar: quit giving your mom such a hard time. And keep on painting, your work strong, edgy powerful. I love it!

Love you guys!
love love love love... Marco

Tia Sara said...

Tia Sara has dibs on one of Radar's masterpieces! Why should Tio Andy be the only collector in this family?
Besos

Lali said...

Looks like I am changing my desktop picture again! He is so cute! I love him!! I am sure the good and bad times even out to awesome.

Love,
Tia Lali

Radar's Mom said...

Lali... you are absolutely right that good and bad equal awesome when it comes to Radar.

Tia Sara... I'm not so sure you can afford a "Radar" (that's what his pieces are refered to as in the art world), but I'm going to discuss the matter with him and see if a substantial family discount can be considered on this one occassion.

Viviana said...

Sushi place's are not goog for radar now on you should have sushi to go in intead. He's so cute always no matter whatever tamtrum hi's passing thru. We love you and see you soon.