Thursday, August 12, 2010

The little things

When you become a parent, life changes dramatically. I think this is especially true when you do it a bit later in life - like at 40 years of age - when you tend to be a little more stubbornly set in your ways.


To be clear - I have no complaints - zero, zip, zilch! The changes are either all good or all worth it. Good, as in your heart grows a million times its previous size. Worth it, as in the sacrifices don't feel like sacrifices (new financial commitments, almost never going out with the old gang on a Friday night or being woken up at 2am for some water and to read a book).

But even with this total upheaval of life as it was before, you tend not to think of it that way on a daily basis. You don't wake up in the morning and say to yourself, "This is different. I didn't used to have an alarm clock that said 'Mama' and stuck its finger up my nose to wake me up at 6:30am!" It's just your new reality and you roll out of bed to start your day.

But then, every once in a while, some little thing does it. Some little thing reminds you that this new life is so much different than the old life... and invariably those little reminders send a surge of happiness rushing through me.

This morning I had one of those moments. Such a silly little thing did it. Maria and Radar had already headed off to the park and I went upstairs to shower and get changed for work. As I walked over to my closet to pick out my clothes for the day, I had to step over the airplane that was in the middle of my bedroom floor.

Photobucket

And that's what did it... for some reason I thought to myself that I didn't used to have toy airplanes to step over on my way to the closet and I was so happy that now I do. So happy that I almost cried! Weird, eh? Normally I might lean down to pick up the plane and put it away, but this morning I left it there - right where Radar had strategically placed it.

Photobucket

I love moments like those... and I love my new life!

Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

2 comments:

Lali said...

Awwwwww! Well, I understand that seeing a plane in the middle of your floor would almost make you cry. I almost cried reading about it. I am very happy about your new life because that means I get Radar in my life.

Have a wonderful green day!
Love,
Tia Lali

Little M and Baby G said...

Yay for airplanes and changes big and small. Radar is such an amazing boy and brings joy to so many people.