Friday, June 17, 2011

Tup up Anny!

I looked at the calendar and I looked at the date of my last blog post.

More than a month.

Tia Sara and Antonio have left comments telling me I should be ashamed of myself.

Oh, I am!

And to be fair, the last few posts were super lazy, so they shouldn't even count as blog posts.

I suppose that means that I owe my few loyal readers a substantive update.

Or at least a boatload of excuses for my egregious lapse.

But the truth is that I'm not sure why it's been so hard for me to sit down and scribble a few words about what's going on. Sure, I've been busy. But more than that, I think I'm tending to feel sort of overwhelmed by my 2.5 year old these days. He is in full TEST-MOMMY mode most days and up until the moment that he collapses at night (which is usually not until 9 or 10 pm), he is also in full energy mode. At least at some point in each day, I kind of worry that I'm doing it all wrong.

Whether it's too much tv, too much candy, not enough consistency on my part (with things like potty training or discipline,) not enough reading to him, or just plain not enough energy to keep up with him or to do the right thing... it's usually something that has me questioning how I might be ruining or limiting Radar's future each day!

But that's really not a very good excuse for not blogging because those moments are minority moments. The majority moments are far more optimistic (or deluded). Because aside from testing me and sapping all my energy, Radar gives me so many reasons every single day to feel that, as imperfect a parent as I am, I'm doing just fine. I regret not blogging more because at least every other day he does something new that becomes my new favorite thing (until he does something else new). And as much as I think that I'll remember all these cute and uniquely Radar things, I'll probably forget most of them.

So I won't try blogging a month of backlog, but I guess I can start my rehabilitation by blogging a couple of new favorite things that Radar has started doing lately.

New Favorite Thing #1: The first has to do with Radar's tendency to both repeat and imitate those who perhaps should not be imitated (aka, his mom or his grandmother). And of course he's less enthusiastic about mimicking the good stuff like sharing or using the bathroom and more keen on some of the other stuff. Like my tendency (and Grammy's) to yell at the dog (dogs in Grammy's case) when she barks.

I don't normally say "shut-up" to people and I certainly wouldn't say it to someone in front of Radar. But I can't help myself with the dog. When she starts barking at 6 in the morning because she hears another dog in the neighborhood barking or at 10 at night because there's some thunder outside, I can not help myself.

"SHUP UP FANNY!"

It's not that Radar thinks it's funny. I think it just makes him feel powerful to yell at the dog with such authority. So now poor Fanny is subjected to constant harassment from Radar. If she so much as pants too loudly, Radar stops whatever he's doing, runs over to where she is, sternly points his finger at her and yells as loudly as he can.

"TUP UP ANNY!"

When we visit Grammy's he does the same thing with her dogs. Maybe I should stop him to avoid the risk that he might start doing this with other kids or with adults. But I find it entirely too amusing to stop him!

New Favorite Thing #2: Wine. Once or twice a week I like to have a glass of wine in the evening. Radar has never much liked it when I have a drink (no matter what it is... water, coffee, juice, wine) without him. Up until a few weeks ago, I had always gotten away with giving him his own drink in his own cup. We would toast, drink our respective drinks and all was good.

But then I made the mistake one day of letting Radar use a plastic wine glass for his juice. I drank my red wine in my glass wine glass and he drank his orange juice in his plastic wine glass. A few days later I poured myself a glass of wine and tried giving him his juice in a regular cup.

The cup was promptly hurled across the kitchen.

"NO MAMA. TATA UGO MAMA!" (aka 'tasa jugo mama', aka 'mama's juice glass')

It became clear then that if I was going to drink from a wine glass, so was he. That worked a couple of times until he pointed out that our drinks were different colors. I happened to have some reddish punch on hand, so I filled his glass with red liquid just like mine. A few days later I poured his orange juice into his plastic wine glass.

The glass was promptly hurled across the kitchen.

"UGO ROJO BEBE!" (aka 'red baby juice')

And so that's where we are today. I know that I shouldn't celebrate that my son hurls cups across the room when he doesn't get what he wants. And maybe I shouldn't celebrate that he's so keen to drink wine with his mother. But I can't help it! There are few things I enjoy more than sharing a fine vintage with my funny boy after a long day at the office.

Cheers!


Lots of love,
Titi and Radar

3 comments:

Tia Sara said...

OH BOY! He's definitely a Pazos!

Thanks for the post but today is the 30th and not the 17th and that post was not there yesterday

The Science Pundit said...

Tia Sara pretty much sums up my thoughts on this. :-)

Lali said...

Yeah, the date is a big fat lie!
But either way, FINALLY!!!! :)

But omg, the wine drinking is soooo cute!!! A short throw from wanting Mommy's real wine.
I love that he loves drinking wine with mommy! And Tup up Anny is so cute too! I think you need to post a recording pretty darn soon.

I love you guys sooooo much!!!
Love,
Tia Lali